Tuesday, December 7, 2010

Red Rings of What?!

The "Red Rings of Death" or "Red Lights of Death" have been a constant problem with Xbox 360's since their existence. The Red Rings of Death refer to the lights on an Xbox that indicate how many controllers are active at any given time. When your Xbox overheats (caused by playing for too long or by not having adequate ventilation) the screen could freeze and you are forced to turn the Xbox off. Upon turning it back on, the dreaded Rings could appear. At least this is what happened to me... I needed to think fast. I remembered watching a video on YouTube that showed how you could wrap towels around your Xbox to get rid of the Rings. Thus allowing for another functional 3-5 days of play until you have to overheat the thing again. I didn't want to do this risky thing because there is a high possibility that it can cause permanent damage to your Xbox.



So what did I do? I really wanted to get it fixed but I didn't want to have to pay for costly repair fees. Also, I knew that my 1 year warranty expired so I felt a bit lost. Before all hope was lost I looked online and I saw that Microsoft had increased the warranty for Red Rings of Death issues to 3 years. I was overjoyed. I called Microsoft and they told me they would send me a shipping label to get it repaired for free. Now it's a waiting game...

2 comments:

  1. Play online games with me Daniel
    ON THE PC
    Also did you make sure to take off your hard drive before you sent it in? I'm pretty sure that they wipe it so you'll have to redownload all your DLC once you get it back.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am definitely thinking about PC gaming. In fact, at the end of the year I'm pretty sure I will completely stop playing video games on the Xbox and switch to the PC, or I will stop playing video games altogether because I am getting too old for them.

    And yes, I did take my hard drive off, so it won't be a problem to redownload my DLC.

    ReplyDelete